Re: Was hood removal - now what to do about this frame rust

To: Adrian Jones <adrianjones747@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Was hood removal - now what to do about this frame rust
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2007 20:31:23 -0500
Adrian Jones wrote:

> I'm now looking at the rust areas and would like your help again in deciding
>what to do about it.

>That is, can these areas just be bondoed

No no NO! Well a few taco bell wrapers and some bondo would work for a
month or so. Just long enough to sell it ;)
Cut the rust out, replace it with new metal, prep the new metal before
you put bondo on it, now bondo, sand, and paint.
Magic rust paints like POR are just that, paint-over-rust.
And rust NEVER sleeps so it keeps right on rusting under the magic paint
until the part falls off. Ask me how I know?
Fiberglass is OK as long as all the rust is cut out. Now you're talking
high tensil structural fiberglass and epoxy resins. If you know FG, go
for it. Plain old pepboys glass mat is a patch, not a panel.
You can just buy some sheetmetal from a local sheetmetal shop, it's
cheap 4'x10' in 20gauge is about $60, I just used 1/2 a sheet to restore
a rusted away bugeye. It might be a good idea to buy new rockers and
just cut off what you need. The bonnet needs new metal, no patches are
available but it's a simple fix. Most bends can be made in a vise or
over a 2x4, round bends come out great over a piece of pipe.
Practice on the simple parts and you will get the hang of metal work.
Bondo hides alot ;)

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ