Cotter pin / Taper Pin

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Cotter pin / Taper Pin
From: Daniel1312@aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 18:22:17 EST
Hi List,

I've just had problems with the cotter pin / taper pin that locks the king
pin to the fulcrum pin.  The first pin simply wouldn't go through far enough to
get a nut on the thread but I only discovered this after first destroying a
nut and then the thread.  For the second pin I decided to file it down a bit so
it would tap through further but it fared little better than the 1st one.

With the 3rd pin I filed for longer and it tapped through a very long way
indeed and using a fairly chewed up nut (last spare nut) it fitted OK.

Is it normal to need to file the pin - due to -remake/pattern parts not being
quite the same as the original?  Or am I hamfisted?

Anyone (Ron Soave?) ever successfully used AN386 taper pins and if so can
they advise the part number so I can buy some from www.aircraftspruce.com

Thanks

Daniel