Re: Cotter pin / Taper Pin

To: Daniel1312@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cotter pin / Taper Pin
From: "Peter C." <nosimport@mailbag.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 17:28:23 -0600
Maybe not "hamfisted" but there a few tricks. You want to fit the
cotter with the kinpin perpendicular to the spring pan, otherwise
it's hard to get the alignment best. I use a "suitable drift" (second
favorite Haynes expression right after "reverse removal procedure") a
straight pin punch works, and you can hit it to get it right., Then
the pin will go in without any hammering. BTDT.  You really don't
need a hardened pin.... you're just keeping it tight until the rust
seizes it up.

         Peter C
==