Size of Crankshaft Nut

To: Spridgets Digest <spridgets-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: Size of Crankshaft Nut
From: James Gruber <thistle_3619@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 08:18:13 -0800 (PST)
Anyone know off hand the size of the Crank Nut on a 1275 Engine. No I don't
need to Crank My Nut Off jokes. Planning on doing a leakdown test of my spare
1275 and need to be able to turn off and hold at TDC. I turned a cheap
compression tester into a Leak down Tester with a few spare NPT Adapters that
were in the bottom drawer of my toolbox. I think the nut is biggger than
anything in my toolbox and I need to stop at Sears for a socket on the way home
tonight.

  Any thoughts on what is a good % of air vs. leakage I should be shooting for.
P.O. told me when I bought engine and tranny for a real good price that engine
was running fine just going through a Qt. every 100 miles or so. No visible
smoke out exhaust pipe. No big puddle under the car. Before I pulled the head I
figure I can do a little testing in advance. A compression test yielded
something like 100-115-90-105 wet. Ran the numbers 2-3 years ago so brain is
foggy on exact numbers.

  Bugsy is really running fine right now with his 1098 but a little extra power
and a ribcase with a good synchro in 3rd gear is always nice. TIA.

Jim Gruber
Bugsy '68 Sprite (future Bugeye in disguise)
Cincinnati, OH