Re: Question on timing a 1275

To: bmwwxman@gmail.com, spridgets@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Question on timing a 1275
From: KrkLH@cs.com
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 17:37:38 EST
I had the same opinion about the difficulty to get to or see the timing
marks.  The guy before me took a white pen of some sort and drew the mark out
for
top dead center.  It made it easier to see.   So I can see it with the strobe -
a bit difficult but it comes through.  I start with a basic setting on the
dizzy and then go from there.  Clockwise on the dizzy equals advancing the
curve.  I put a Weber DCOE 45 side draft on my car which meant that I needed to
advance the timing just a bit.  I think my timing sits at about 8 degrees
before
TDC.   I messed with it until the car ran best with the new carb.

I have my dizzy out of the car at this time as I was getting a weak spark to
number one.  So I am converting over to electronic ign module (Ignitor II) in
the dual point Mallory and hopefully things will be back to normal - unless
the head has a crack or a valve is allowing loss of compression.  (Another
possible reason for a missfire).   But the motor only has 2k miles on it so I
am
hoping for the best!    If this does not work then I will have to do a leak
down
comp test and see what is up, rings, or valves or maybe still normal
compression.  Can't imagine that it is the carb as the Weber (actually OER Jap)
has
been running fantastically.  But it only is happening on number one so that
would pretty much rule out the carb I would think.  I double checked for leaks
around the carb base and all is well there.   My testing device which is a
little
hand held thing shows that it is only number one that is missing.  Any advice
from the list is most  appreciated!

Sometimes it is a bit of a challenge to keep these little cars running along.
 But when they are running well there is NO experience like it.

People do not understand why I am not riding my late model Harley anymore!

Kirk

1275 "Bugeye"