A tale of 2 bums and a Mexican immigrant (absolutely no LBC)

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: A tale of 2 bums and a Mexican immigrant (absolutely no LBC)
From: Ron Soave <soavero@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 19:28:21 -0800 (PST)
I pretty much need to vent - my faith in human nature
is a little iffy.

Bum 1:  A few weeks ago, a guy who did some work at my
house called asking if I needed anything done, winter
is slow season. I tell him no, but say I'll keep him
in mind and ask around. The guy calls back later,
fesses up that he's broke, father on death bed (true),
needs any help he can get, can I lend him $20? Feeling
really crappy that I had spent the evening deciding
whether to get my 30GB or 80GB iPods for Christmas, I
tell him I thought he did a great job when he was here
and never got to tip him, so I was gonna send $20
anyway. He's thankful. Calls back, sez he's starving,
can he walk to my house to get the $$. I said hold on,
called Domino's, and sent him 2 pizzas, wings, and
drinks. THE END, I foolishly hope. The guy calls
Christmas Eve. Christmas day. New Year's Day. I ignore
it. The guy calls again last night, leaves a message
he got a job (I had to settle for $8 an hour"). Calls
again. I pick up, he wants to thank me. I say you're
welcome, waiting for the shoe to drop. He asks for
another handout until he gets paid. Remembering the
handyman in Utah who kidnapped that little girl, I
tell him no, don't call, we're done, period.

Bum 2: Out on business dinner Tuesday, bum follows us
to cars afterwards begging, very memorable outfit. He
trys to touch my shoulder, for 2d time in 2 years, I
get to use martial arts training. Today at lunch, SAME
BUM pulls into Burger King in a Chrysler 300. I say
hi.

Mexican immigrant: Marco the cook at work (and wife)
cooks 6 days a week, 5AM to 5PM, sweeps floors after
that for minimum wage. He has sought me out if I've
overpaid by 25 cents. He and wife were deported before
Christmas in a crackdown on our food service
subcontractor.

I understand both sides of the immigrant argument now.

Done. Thanks for listning.
ROn

Cheap talk?
http://voice.yahoo.com