Re: Late model Midget/MGB horn?

To: "derf" <derf247@gmail.com>, "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Late model Midget/MGB horn?
From: "David Riker" <davriker@digitalpath.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 07:11:13 -0800
The '78 & '79 steering column has the same wheel spline size and count as
the 70-77 column.  As three similar topics have been weaving around, here is
what I have found from experience.

Steering wheels and aftermarket bosses are the same from 68-69, with the
horn on the turn signal stock.  These turn signal stalks are harder to find.
They control turn, highbeam, flash highbeam, and horn. The two speed wiper
switch includes an unused forward/rearward switch due to the fact this
switch was also used on the MGB, and in that application this turns the
overdrive unit on and off.

(I have an unobtainium steering wheel adapter for a Nardi wheel for the
68-69 column.  $200.  email if interested)

1970-79 steering wheel column wheel spline are all the same.

1970-77 turn signal stalk lacks the horn provision, but is otherwise
similar.  The harness plug is different, but you can splice and dice,
because the wire colors corespond.  You can convert this switch to include a
horn function either by using the parts from a broken 68/69 switch, or by
sacrificing the washer switch function from the tip of a wiper switch.  All
turn signal switches from 68-77 have a clip on the steering column which can
be rotated to the proper position to trigger the cancel function.

78-79 Steering wheel is much heavier than the earlier wheels.  On frontal
crash impact it absorbs the force of your chest over a larger area, reducing
injury on impact.  An added benifit is that it absorbs some of the vibration
that makes its way through the steering column providing a smoother feel.
The spline count is the same as for the 70-77 wheel.

The turn signal switch on the 78-79 is very different in design than the
earlier switches, and internally it became the universal British Leyland
switch, having the same internal parts as on the Spitfire, and TR-7/8.  The
switch has a merge function, which allows you to signal lane changes without
fully engaging the switch, and includes the horn function.  The cancel cam
is intregal to the switch, so that it only cancels the signal at the
conclusion of the turn, instead of with each revolution.  The 78-79 steering
wheel has a tab built in that turns the cancel cam.  With an aftermarket
wheel on a 78-79 switch, the turn signals will not cancel.  The wiper switch
for the 78-79 mounts to the turn signal switch, and has an added one-wipe
position, and no provision to activate an overdrive.

David Riker
davriker@digitalpath.net
http://community.webshots.com/user/fool4mg
http://www.myspace.com/fool4mg

'78&'79, with the 4 spoke "safety" wheel, has the horn on the stalk.
GAN6-200000 on.

Chris King
http://home.comcast.net/~kvcbk/