Compressors and Blast Cabinets, etc.

To: "Spridget List (spridget list)" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Compressors and Blast Cabinets, etc.
From: derf <derf247@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2007 13:32:20 -0600
I sprung for a decent compressor a few years ago.  I got the IR 3HP 60
gallon upright, mostly because IR rated their motors more honestly and
because the duty rating (how much the compressor motor can run wihtout
having to rest) is realistic and much better than everyone elses, at least
for under $500.  I paid $499 with free delivery to the nearby depot.  It is
not the best compressor, but I don't think you can find anything new that is
better for under $500.  Most units you see are rated 5HP but are really 3HP
or less.  My decent IR compressor will run a small blast cabinet, but the
motor runs almost constantly when doing it.  I am thinking of upgrading to
the TIP benchtop blasting unit from my Homier $49 unit, after reading these
posts.  However, I would suggest to anyone thinking of getting a blast
cabinet or compressor to spend a little more on a good compressor and you'll
be glad you did in the long run.  If you want to do alot of blasting and
stuff that requires high CFMs, think about a two stage and something from
Quincy or Puma or Champion.

My IR compressor and MAC AW434b 1/2" impact wrench ($75 on ebay) are great
for auto work.

Just my $0.02 but a compressor is one of those things you'll be glad you
spend a little extra on in the long run.