Re: Cats, guns, beer...now add aircraft

To: "Jim Johnson" <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Cats, guns, beer...now add aircraft
From: rrengineer@dslextreme.com
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 02:52:41 -0800 (PST)
Kermit Weeks in Florida.  He has a Zero in his collection that still has
the original 1300 HP Nakajima Sakae 21 engine and is under restoration.
In un-flyable condition it is worth $250,000!   The only flying original
engined Zero known to be in existence is at the Planes Of Fame museum
right down the road from me in Chino, CA.  They give warbird rides at
Chino in a B-17, Corsair, Mustang and even a P-38!  The P-38 costs $2000
for a one hour ride.  The others cost less.  $500 I think for the Mustang.
 I know what I want for my Birthday.  I personally saw a flyable Zero at
Kadena AB on Okinawa.  It was in a covered revetment where it has been
since the war.  It's the only plane that did not get destroyed or taken
from the Japanese in WWII.  It has not been started in many years, so I
don't know how flyable it is, but it ran when parked!  A relatively easy
restoration compared to, say Glacier Girl.
Mike MacLean
60 Sprite
56 BN2

Jim Johnson