Bugeye fuel tank leak

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Bugeye fuel tank leak
From: Rich Hill <richard.hill@sri.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 18:12:51 -0800
Are there any particularly leak-prone sections of a Bugeye (or for that matter,
any Spridget) fuel tank?   Ours has small leak somewhere that's only noticable
if the car is left in the garage with the tank full -- down a gallon or so from
full and there's no smell.

I just removed the tank, expecting to find the top wet from fuel, obvious rust
holes, or at the very least a leaking sender gasket -- nope, nothing (at least
nothing obvious).  The general grunge on the tank seems like there could be a
leak on either side or possibly the front edge of the tank, but we couldn't
find a definite source.  Is the seam between the top and bottom a possibility?

Finally, what are the differences in the tanks over the years?  If we end up
replacing it, I'd like to get the right one and I'd be amazed if this was the
original tank.  Our tank has a Bugeye style fuel-sender but it also has a drain
plug, which I thought came on later tanks.  Besides the fuel sender, are there
any differences on the tanks through the years?

Thanks,
Rich Hill
'58 AH Sprite
'79 MG Midget