SU woes continued

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: SU woes continued
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2007 15:51:13 -0500
I am giving up. Anybody got a DCOE in trade for about a 1/2 dozen pairs
of SU-ck carbs?
3 different carb bodys, 4 different float lids, 4 new needles and seat,
and 100 combinations of gross jets, old needles, NOS needles, new
needles and lids.
It still leaks.
I even stuck a pressure regulator on it and have it down to 1 pound.
It still leaks but at least it doesn't squirt over the radiator now.
There is no reason for the leak and no cure.
It is coming out of the overflow on all lids, early lids, later lids
with the pipe to charcoal can tube, old lids, even a new SU in a box
lid, they all leak.
I have bent the float tabs to the max, no change, it's fine for 2
minutes and then it starts to weep and finally pour out.
Never at an idle, never with just the key on, only when I rev it up.
At first I thought it was the tab on the carb body that locks the float
bowl in place, it was missing or sheered off. So new body, correct
rubber grommet for the offset, same problem.
Even a known good carb leaks only on this 58.
So much for my original Sprite, I have had enough of SUs, I can't stand
the whimpy stock shifter, the steering wheel is great if you like
steering with your knees, and a tach drive generator might have been OK
back in 1958 but an alternator doesn't make nearly as much noise.
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ