Modern rubber

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Modern rubber
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 21:13:57 -0500
Did somebody nuke all the rubber trees?
This modern repro rubber is pure crap.
I put about 50 miles on the 58 Sprite so far and each time I drive it I
have to put the pedal pads back on.
3rd time they were toast. And the other 2 times they were a real bear to
get to fit. Nice and tight til I stepped on them a few times then they
fall off. Now they are all split and useless.
I had some NOS pads (thanks Jay) but must have used them all over the
years. I got tired of them falling off my 59 Sprite so I put a set of $2
VW beetle pedal pads on it and they haven't moved in 2 years.
I have to wait and get a few more VW pads from the guy at Carlisle.
He also sells real fuel line not like the stuff I bought and put on the
58 that is leaking already.
Well what do I expect, it has been 30 days so it's life is over.
So why is it the 50 year old stuff is now in better shape than the 30
DAY old rubber?
Did somebody nuke all the rubber trees?
Did the chinks find a way to cheese out or water down rubber trees?
And the tire guy wanted to know why I didn't want the Dunlop tires made
in china? DUH, I want my tires to last more than a month.
Fire wall grommets that were a bear to push in just fall out now, rubber
door seal is a joke. If it wasn't for "original looks" I would have gone
with the JC Whitney stuff that works, lasts, and is 1/4th the price.
All the rubber was put on the car about a month ago, it all needs to be
replaced now. If it isn't stretched out, it's cracked.
On a positive note, I did drive the 58 out on the open road Sunday.
On a 65 mph road, my speedo read 70 mph and most people drive at 75.
So why was I passing everybody? I did notice the windshield frame
shuttering in the wind at 85 or so mph. Sustained 80 + or - for several
miles. No carb leak, no oil leak, 160* on the water temp and 60 psi on
the oil gauge. Now if only I could find un-nuked rubber ;)

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ