Re: Bought Miata, Now What? Pseudo Japanese LBC content.

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Bought Miata, Now What? Pseudo Japanese LBC content.
From: "David Lieb" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 18:55:27 -0500
>>Now, to make it go a little faster, where should I start?

The easy answer is to simply accept it for what it is, a fun little
convertible that doesn't have much low-end torque nor a particularly
enthusiastic top speed. I suppose if you drive a bone-stock Spridget, you
will be fine with that. Otherwise, the sky is the limit. There are multiple
vendors selling turbochargers and superchargers for both the 1.6 and the
1.8. The turbochargers can be more powerful, the superchargers are an easier
install. 5-liter Ford Mustang engines go in fairly well to create what is
called a "Monster Miata". Yes, you CAN rip it apart and build a Westfield 7
clone with the drivetrain.

As far as the cat is concerned, your local ordinances must dictate. Here in
Illinois, the powers that be have decided that they want to go to strictly
OBDII emissions testing to save money, so anything pre-1996 is exempt from
testing now. I have some friends who are happy they no longer will need to
de-tune their cars every other year. I just wish they had done it sooner and
saved me the money on the new cat for Trish's 1990 last year. I assure you
that there are plenty of exhaust notes available. We installed an Ansa
muffler on Trish's and it is a lovely note, although a little more than I
really wanted.

It is also quite fun seeing how many Miatas my Midget can beat at the Windy
City Miata Club autocrosses. With my 5-speed, Peter's adjustable shocks,
heated-up engine, and cast-off race tires, I usually manage to beat almost
all of the stock classes of Miatas and a good share of the forced induction
and/or race tires crowd. Of course, there is always Roman (and a few others)
to keep me humble...
David Lieb
1972 Blue 101