RE: LBC vs grass cutter...

To: "'derf'" <derf247@gmail.com>, "'Spridget List'"
Subject: RE: LBC vs grass cutter...
From: "Bud Osbourne" <abcoz@hky.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 11:48:56 -0500
I read an article, in some business/financial publication, a few years
ago, on Snapper.  Seems they got tired of putting up with WalMart/Home
Defect/Lowes, while at the same time hurting their loyal, long-time
independent dealers.  So, they told the big-box retailers to go piss up
a rope and put all of their eggs in their dealer network basket.
Apparently, it looked like it was going to work for them.
Ariens has acquired many of the old American brands, such as Gravely,
Bolens, Hahn-Eclipse and a host of others.  Unfortunately, for Gravely,
Kubota was offering a lot more (hydraulics, split brakes, power
steering, etc.) in the range that Gravely had dominated, for the same
money.  So, in spite of still strong demand for Gravely 4 wheel tractors
(the 2 wheel & 4 wheel Gravely tractors have quite a "following"),
Ariens pulled the plug on the line, forcing many Gravely dealers to ad
Kubota to their product line.  The "traditional", and highly versatile 2
wheeled Gravely tractor models were being displaced by Gravely's (and
other's) commercial riding lawn mowers, and they, too were phased out of
production.
So, the Gravelys of today are not really Gravely's.....they're Ariens,
with Gravely badging (sound familiar to Spridgeteers???).
Bud Osbourne