Re: Tach drive noise

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tach drive noise
From: David Woerpel <dwoerpel@wi.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 00:35:19 -0500
Frank,
I've rebuilt mine twice...actually the local machine shop re-sleeved the
barrel.  On mine, I think it was an end-play problem, especially as I
tended to over-tightened the nut or collar to the dynamo(generator).   I
found all sorts of little brass shavings in the grease on mine and the
bore was eccentric.

Generator rear bush may be in poor shape or.....after a lot of head
scratching.....the cable from the tach to the drive wasn't lined up
straight to the drive gearbox and put a bit of side-load on the gearbox
shaft.   ?????  I re-sleeved, was careful on how tight I fastened it to
the genny, and lined up the cable and 4 years later still good.  I once
had a tach gearbox back off of the genny and wow!, did that wang around
under the bonnet.  A bit of garden hose and 2 hose clamps prevented that
from re-occurring.

Dave
59 :{)
Burlington WI