Tach drive noise

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tach drive noise
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 20:08:11 -0500
Ok, why does the tach drive unit sound like a rod knock?
I already replaced the generator tail bushing.
The guts of the tach gear unit are greased and there is no play on
either gear shaft.
Disconnect the tach gear from the genny and the noise stops so it's NOT
the genny. Hook it up and it sounds like a rod knock.
An alternator is looking better and better but I am hell bent on trying
to keep the 58 original "looking" so whimpy shift knob, massive steering
wheel, and noisy tach drive "should" stay.
Then again disc brakes, 1275, 5 speed have nothing to do with "looks" ;)
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ