Re: OT-car model year

To: "Jacques Le Clainche" <hobbycars@cox.net>, "Spridget List"
Subject: Re: OT-car model year
From: "David Riker" <davriker@digitalpath.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 10:30:26 -0700
It is common when there is a MAJOR redesign to introduce the new vehicle as
the next year model.  The earliest it can be released is January.  The 2007
Tahoe was released in January 2006.  The 1997 F150 came out in January 1996.

The 6.0 liter Powerstroke has a very bad reputation, so Ford has been
anxious to introduce the new and improved 2008 SuperDuty with the new 6.4
liter Powerstroke.  The reason there is a new Diesel, however has less to do
with 2008 and more to do with the new Diesel particulate emissions
requirements.  All new diesel engined vehicles produced after January 1 2007
except heavy construction equipment must be 90% cleaner burning than the
2007 models they replace.  To meet the new requirements, Ford and Chevy have
added particulate filters and incinerators in the exhaust stream.  Exhaust
temperatures reach over 1500 degrees.  Left to idle, the engine management
systems will actually rev up the engine to increase exhaust opperating
temperature.  The filters have to be serviced, and are very picky.  Ford has
already had a stop sell order after delivering less than 8000 2008
Powerstrokes due to flames shooting out of the exhaust pipe.

David Riker
davriker@digitalpath.net
http://community.webshots.com/user/fool4mg
http://www.myspace.com/fool4mg