Re: Which carbs? Longish

To: Hal Faulkner <hal@katemuir.com>, Spridgets
Subject: Re: Which carbs? Longish
From: "Robert E. Shlafer" <pilotrob@webtv.net>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 21:17:24 GMT
I would go with the earliest carbs with
fixed needles for thorough rebuild, were
I in your shoes (boots, sneakers, Nike's,
sandals, whatever!:).

And definitely no poppet
valves, which are designed to reduce emissions on deceleration by reducing
vacuum in the intake manifold while leaning the mixture with air.

What this leads to is a loss of engine braking on deceleration (thus, shorter
brake service life, everything else equal) usually accompanied by  "popping"
(backfiring) out the exhaust system (irritating and annoying to most).

The earlier float bowls are more are more
"adjustable" than later model HS2's as well,
the later floats usually emissions types featuring two fixed positions only (I
believe?)

The air valves are "matched" to their "bells"
in terms of friction to pass a "drop test in time", so normally you don't
want to mix/match from different carbs.
(or even within the pair).

Cap'n. Bob      '60 :{)