Re: Which carbs? Longish

To: Hal Faulkner <hal@katemuir.com>
Subject: Re: Which carbs? Longish
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 20:13:29 -0400
Hal Faulkner wrote:

> Spridgeteers,
>
> I have the possibility of using one pair of three different sets of carbs

I might be late on this returning from across the pond but....
All the carb bodys are the same except for the pair with the tubes which
can be balanced out with a rubber hose across the two tubes.
For the "we tight" way around the throttle plate poppets, dyke them off
and solder up the holes. File the solder flat and you now have a set of
solid throttles.
All the jet tubes are the same too. Swing needles only fit the later
pistons (bigger hole where the needle screws in)
I have a bunch of pistons with various needles in them, swap pistons
(and matched dashpots) and you changed the carbs. 5 minute job.
I am experimenting with the 58 now, 3rd set of pistons and I like the 67
set up I have on it now. Forget the needles off hand but I do write the
needle numbers on the piston so I can tell what I did at a glance.
1275 needles # AN work best on 1275s obviously or they do for me.
948 needles work well but tend to run rich on 1275s, I don't know why
but my nose can smell it. 1098 needles seem to give better milage.
Again, I don't know why.
All the float bowls and lids are the same except for the later overflow
tubes, all interchangable too. Early metal tab floats are adjustable,
later plastic non adjustable floats need washers as shims to adjust but
stay where they are supposed to be. The later float lids can be piped
away from the exhaust but in about 40 years of overflowing gas on
exhaust manifolds, I never set one on fire (yet). More fires in
Spridgets are a direct result from smoking wire harnesses. Ask me how I
know ;)

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ