Re: Transmission Transplant

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Transmission Transplant
From: "David Lieb" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 06:40:21 -0500
>> And it is the only 5-speed option for the 1500...

> There is a 4 speed plus overdrive that will fit the Spitfidgets,
> essentially a 5 (or 6) speed.

That would be the optional overdrive from a Spitfire. In order to
install it, you have to jack out the sides of the trans tunnel. I
believe it also requires driveshaft surgery. To crown it all off,
you wind up with a planetary OD that will destroy itself if  it
accidentally engages in reverse (I know there are electrical
nterlocks to prevent this and nothing electrical ever malfunctioned
on a British car, but the fact remains) and it gives 0 MPG
benefit, since the power required to operate it negates the lower
rpm cruising speed. Plus, it is very difficult to benchtest it when
you buy it. That is why those are generally called "overdrive
transmissions" and seldom referred to as a "5-speed". MGB
owners frequently wax eloquent on this subject. Plus Larry's
remark. Much better with a "real" 5-speed.
David Lieb