Re: 73 Midget electrical questions

To: "J F" <tr3.4.me@gmail.com>, "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 73 Midget electrical questions
From: "David Lieb" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 06:39:20 -0500
> 1) There is a splice in the turn signal wiring that send the signals
> to the rear lights - or at least is supposed to!  Can someone point me
> to the approximate location of that splice?

That splice is under the RH end of the dash above the glovebox.
Very hard to see and touch at the same time. Get some new bullet
splices before you go in because I will guarantee that more than one
of them has split. www.british wiring.com has what you need.
Likewise, the Bentley manual schematics are better for figuring out the
actual physical locations of splices and Doug Jacobs of
www.colorwiringdiagrams.com will sell you an 11 x 17 laminated colour
diagram for less than $20.

> 2) Where is the hazard light flasher unit located? (I'm guessing it's
> supposed to be on the ends of some of those dangling wires but I
> haven't found the correct color coded wire combination or been able to
> successfully trace the wires.)

There are two flasher relays. One is in the console by the hazard switch
the other is by the hood hinge in the engine compartment. Yeah, the one
you mention in #3. Be aware that I have seen at least three different stock
factory hazard switches, so take all diagrams with a grain of salt. Also be
aware that your signals will NOT work unless the hazard switch is
functional,
since it bypasses the signals.

David Lieb