Well, it's not the water pump........

To: "'Healey List'" <bj7healey@gto.net>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Well, it's not the water pump........
From: Robert Weeks <lists@woozy.com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 21:46:13 -0400
The saga continues:

Finally got around to pulling the destroyed radiator and fan tonight. I
was hoping the problem with clearance between the fan and radiator was
because the new water pump was longer, but once I got everything off the
pump so I could measure it, it turned out to be the exact same size as
the one that came with the car. That's good because it means I'm not as
much of a bonehead as I was thinking I was, but then again it's bad
because I no longer have a quick easy fix for the problem.

I measured the front of the pulley that extends from the water pump to
the fan and it is 3/16", the same as the original pulley. Having the
extra pulleys adds nothing to the front of the water pump.

It looks like the frame extensions that hold the bumper mounts and the
uprights for the radiator are bent up which is what is tilting the
radiator back. The engine mount rubbers are also pushed as far forwards
as they will go in the slots in the mount brackets.

So since I'd like to be able to drive this car sometime soon and since
I'm really fed up with losing radiators and fans, what are my options?
I'm giving some serious thought to relieving the recess in the back of
the fan by 1/4" - 1/2" to gain some much needed clearance. If I  try to
adjust the engine mounts towards the back will the transmission mount
stop the engine from going back since there doesn't seem to be any slop
in the transmission mount holes?

Thanks,

Robert