Re: Overheating woes > Water Wetter

To: "Bud Osbourne" <abcoz@hky.com>
Subject: Re: Overheating woes > Water Wetter
From: "Jim Johnson" <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 13:16:56 -0500
Bud wrote:

  Years ago, I stuck a
> thermometer in the radiator tank, with the engine starting from cold,
> idle, and just noted what the thermometer read, compared to the gauge,
> as the engine warmed up.  Pretty easy to do, and it won't puke much
> coolant out of the open filler plug hole, while idling.

Bud....    This also won't give you an accurate temperature!   Recall:

PV = nRT

Temperature (T) is inversely proportional to P (pressure) and V
(volume).  If you leave the radiator cap off, the system is not
pressurized thus Temperature will be different than if the system is
pressurized as it normally would be.

Big question which I alluded to the other day when Frank had his
problem - "Is a spridget cooling system pressurized??"  If it isn't,
you are okay, but I'm thinking it has to have at least some pressure
in it due to expansion from heat and the fact that the system is
closed.

Cheers!!
Jim - 68 Midget in Dodge City