Re: Starter or Solenoid?

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Starter or Solenoid?
From: Chris M West <chris_west@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 07:27:18 -0400
Robert Weeks wrote:

If its
the solenoid I can do that before I go to work. If its the starter that
will need to wait until later and it will have to get in line in back of
my oil cooler install. Might as well do the oil cooler and the starter
together...

Bob - The easy way to isolate the bad component is to bypass each one in
turn.  Start by putting the car in neutral and blocking the wheels. THIS
IS IMPORTANT as a spinning starter will propel a car quite a distance if
the gearbox is not it neutral and the solenoid sticks closed!!!!  (Don't
ask me how I know, BTDT etc.) Use a wire to bypass the starter switch by
jumping from the solenoid  terminal that is connected to the battery to
the small push on terminal where the wire from the switch connects.   You
should hear and feel the contacts engage.  If the starter also spins,
both it and the solenoid are good and you probably have a bad switch.  If
the starter does not spin, jump across the 2 large posts of the solenoid
using something like an old junk screwdriver (my weapon of choice) or a
jumper cable.  If the starter spins now, the solenoid is most likely your
culprit.  If it does not spin, the starter is suspect.  You may want  to
repeat each test a few times if the component "seems" good just in case
you have a dreaded "intermittent" fault.

Chris

AN5L35578