Re: Starter or Solenoid?

To: "K. Valentine" <kevin@valentinephoto.net>
Subject: Re: Starter or Solenoid?
From: Robert Weeks <lists@woozy.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 09:45:09 -0400
Thanks Kevin and everyone who responded to this. Here's an update:

This morning I replaced the solenoid with the new solenoid that was in
the parts car. Now it clicks when I turn the key. Tried the screwdriver
across the solenoid terminals and other than a spark there was no
action. Cleaned and tightened the grounds in the engine bay, didn't get
to the underside. Still no action from the starter.

Here's where it gets a little interesting. It seemed like the battery
was getting low. Its one of them fancy-schmancy Optima batteries and I
was a little surprised it was low. I tried jumping it with my wife's
car. I've jumped cars many times before, no problems. When I went to
turn the key while the jumpers were on I saw a small amount of smoke
from under the hood. I couldn't tell where it was from but I hope it was
from the starter since that is coming out anyway.

I put the battery on the charger and it charged up pretty quickly. Until
I got it charged I had no electric (fan, signals, gauges, lights, etc.)
even though the charger wasn't showing the battery fully drained.

Seeing as how I had really bad insomnia last night and maybe slept for
30 - 45 minutes all night and that things were going from bad to worse I
decided to leave it alone and go to work. I'll have to get back to it
this weekend. I did manage to get a good 8 or so days in a row of
trouble free driving in, so that's progress I imagine ;-)

Thanks again,

Robert