[Spridgets] Which Bushings?

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: [Spridgets] Which Bushings?
From: rrengineer@dslextreme.com
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 11:21:38 -0700 (PDT)
With the 50th celebration coming I'm sure everyone is getting to some of
the projects they have been putting off for their cars.  I am no
exception.  I have a clunk in the front right side of my Bugeye when I hit
the brakes for the first time after it has been sitting for a while.  I
checked the kingpin assembly and the bearings and the brakes which all
seem to be in good order.  The only suspect in this problem is the
suspension bushings.  When I first assembled the car during the
restoration I used rubber bushings from Moss.  These rubber bushings had
no metal tubing bonded to the inner diameter like the originals.  They
were just plain rubber.  O.K., so I didn't know any better.  It was my
first time rebuilding a suspension.  Right now I have both the correct
rubber (with the metal tubing centers bonded to the rubber) and
polyurethane bushing sets to replace the old ones.  I have to make a
decision.  My question is, who is using polyurethane bushings in their
Spridget and who is using rubber bushings and why.  I'd like to know which
you think is better and why.  If you have had both in your car,  what was
the difference in ride quality, noise, etc. for a street car.
Mike MacLean
60 Sprite
56 BN2