Re: [Spridgets] Bugeye Group..... RE: [midgetsprite] The SoCal Fires

To: "Brad Fornal" <tequila.brad@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Bugeye Group..... RE: [midgetsprite] The SoCal Fires
From: "Jim Johnson" <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 00:21:50 -0500
Okay...  Ya'll have me cranked now.  I was stationed at Maxwell AFB
when Camille hit in 1969. We loaded up 6x's and headed for Pass
Christian. It was a really bad storm. The Red Cross service at the
disaster point was disgusting. While all the church groups and the Air
Force were giving people clothes, food and tents, the F'n Red Cross
was SELLING them sandwiches. I was barely able to keep the safety on
on my M-14.

As a meteorologist I watched Katrina closely. They had *2 F'N DAYS*
warning!!! I've got good friends at the National Hurricane Center who
did an outstanding job, no thanks to the Washington bureaucracy!!! Ray
Nagen and Governor what's-her-a$$ refused to issue evacuation orders
until too late. They were used to dealing with politicians who are
full of $hit and NOT with scientists who knew exactly what they were
doing. And neither of them imagined the proportions of the impending
disaster! Moreover, even if they had issued such orders, the residents
were too f'n stupid to evacuate!

Another good friend of mine had provided New Orleans with computer
model simulations of what would happen if a Cat-5 storm hit exactly
where Katrina did about 10 years before hand. His model was dead on
the mark but what difference does it make. Even if they had believed
him people wouldn't react to the threat. There's precious little
anyone can do for morons! (See Darwinian natural selection).

Cheeze n' Rice folks!  It was an unavoidable natural disaster of
unparalleled proportions (well, maybe the 1911 Galveston
hurricane...). All the freaking governments and all the freaking
FEMA's and all the freaking volunteers and all the freaking money in
the world wouldn't have made a difference!!  But like typical
Americans, we expend colossal energy casting about for *someone to
blame*!! Instead of getting on with life.

We need to learn that there are some forces in nature which we are
going to lose to no matter what we do with technology and government
preparedness. How freaking arrogant we are to think that man can
mitigate a Cat-5 storm! You pick up the pieces and you go on with life
as best you can. It isn't anyone's fault that a terribly destructive
Cat-5 Hurricane made landfall in a very vulnerable area!!
--
Cheers!!
Jim - 68 Midget in Dodge City