Re: [Spridgets] Doublebearing hubs

To: <dmeadow@juno.com>, <mail4carpenters@peoplepc.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Doublebearing hubs
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 21:28:15 -0600
OK, here's what works...

Double bearing hubs.

Stock axles, except for the earliest Bugeye axles which are shit.

Sealed bearing goes on the outside... toward the axle cap. Take your stock
outer bearing to the local supply house, and request the same size in a
sealed bearing.

Speedi sleeve on the housing stub.

For the seal, I've tried double lip, and single lip seals... the single
seems to work better.

The inner bearing remains stock, packed in a good synthetic grease.

No need for the paper gasket, or the rubber O ring, just a good RTV sealant
on the axle cap to hub surface.

I like to use countersunk screws with recessed Allen heads, as they can be
tightened even after the drum is on. Tighten them well, then put the wheel
on and torque the wheel down.

The oil for the diff travels down the tube, hit the axle cap and stops,
never makes it to the inner bearing, never makes it past the inner seal, and
never makes in on your brakes.

WST