[Spridgets] Tips on Pumping Gas

To: "Ed's Spridgeteers" <9issa@justbrits.com>, Spridgeteers
Subject: [Spridgets] Tips on Pumping Gas
From: "WFO Herb" <froggi60@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 11:02:40 -0700
TIPS ON PUMPING GAS

 I don't know what you guys are paying for gasoline.... but here in
 California  we are also paying higher, up to $3.50 per gallon. But my
 line of work is  in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some
 tricks to get more of  your money's worth for every gallon..

 Here at the Kinder Morgan Pipeline where I work in San Jose, CA we
 deliver about 4 million gallons in a 24-hour period thru the pipeline..
 One day is  diesel the next day is jet fuel, and gasoline, regular and
 premium grades.  We have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity
 of 16,800,000 gallons.

 Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the
 ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations
 have their  storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground
  the more dense the gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so
 buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your gallon is not
 exactly a gallon. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and
 the temperature of the gasoline, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and
 other petroleum products plays an important role.

 A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But
 the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the
 pumps.

 When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a
 fast mode. If you look you will see that the trigger has three
 (3)stages: low, middle, and high. In slow mode you should be pumping
 on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you
 are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you are
  pumping on the fast rate, some other liquid that goes to your tank
 becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the
 underground storage tank so you're getting less   worth for your
 money.

 One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is
 HALF FULL or HALF EMPTY. The reason for this is, the more gas you have
 in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline
 evaporates faster than you can imagine. Gasoline storage tanks have an
 internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the
 gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike
 service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is
 temperature compensated so that every gallon is actually the exact
 amount.

 Another reminder, if there is a gasoline truck pu mping into the
 storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up--most likely
 the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and
 you might pick up some of the dirt tha t normally settles on the
 bottom.  Hope this will help you get the most value for your money.

 DO SHARE THESE TIPS WITH OTHERS!