Re: [Spridgets] Tips on Pumping Gas

To: Spridgeteers <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Tips on Pumping Gas
From: Kitterer Bob <bkitterer@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 12:34:46 -0700
Herb,

I have seen this recommendation for years and it is certainly true if
the tanks are above ground or at the surface.  But I wonder if that
is true for buried tanks.  All of the tanks that I have seen at
filling stations appear to be at least ten feet below the surface.
Caves for instance are  close to 50 degrees regardless of the weather
outside or the time of year.  So it is hard to see where a tank at
ten plus feet is going to change temperature in the course of a day.
Has someone done a temperature measurement in recent years or is this
a carry over recommendation from the early 1900's?

Curious minds and all that stuff.

Bob Kitterer

1960 Austin Healey Sprite (Mk IV in disguise)
1966 Austin Healey Sprite Mk III (Trevor)
2000 Miata Special Edition