Re: [Spridgets] Tranny leak

To: tequila.brad@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Tranny leak
From: dmeadow@juno.com
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 19:25:34 -0500
Brad,

Most logical culprits are the front plate and the rear oil seal.  You can
tell which one by where the leak is.  If it is coming out of the bell
housing, then it has to do with the plate that goes around the input
shaft.  If it is coming out the rear, it is the oil seal in the rear.

The rear oil seal can be replaced easily assuming you have an access hole
cut in the bottom of the transmission tunnel, which the later cars do.
If you don't, you can cut a hole, just be careful.  From there, you just
remove the drive shaft and replace the seal.  There is a possibility that
the bearing surface around the driveshaft is very worn and there is a
large gap.  If that is the case, then you've got more problems that just
the seal.  If you don't have a hole or don't want to cut one, then you'll
have to pull the tranny.

If the leaking has to do with the front plate, then you'll have to pull
the tranny.

David