Re: [Spridgets] Was: Bad MG news from Automotive News Now: Demise

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Was: Bad MG news from Automotive News Now: Demise
From: "David Riker" <davriker@nwi.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 07:24:48 -0700
Actually, I see just the opposite.  Cars and trucks have never been of
higher quality than they are today.  In the 1960's, the average car needed
its front brake drums relined at 15,000 mile intervals, a valve job at
50,000 miles, and a rebuild of the 3 speed automatic transmission at 75,000.
Why do you think that every corner gas station switched from having service
bays, to having snack shops?  Because of the reduced repair and maintenance
needs of modern cars.  Compare that 1966 Malibu I just described to the 2008
Malibu.  The new car has Disc brakes up front that probably will need the
first set of pads at about 80,000 miles, will never need a valve job or ring
job, has a six speed automatic transmission that never needs a fluid change.
And the price?  Adjusted for inflation, is cheaper as a percent of annual
income than it was in 1966.  Oh, and it gets 31 mpg on the highway instead
of 18, and its four cylinder engine produces more horsepower than the 1966
with a 327 V-8.