Re: [Spridgets] Was: Bad MG news from Automotive News Now: Demise

To: "Jim Johnson" <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Was: Bad MG news from Automotive News Now: Demise
From: "John Innis" <jdinnis@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 08:20:22 -0500
To a certain extent the governement is to blame, but the car-buying
public needs to take a share too.  Today, most consumers buy based on
price above all else.  They also buy with the idea that they are just
going to sell it off in three or four years anyway, so long term
quality and maintainability are not important.  This trend is not new,
but what we are seeing is the long term result of a consumer mentality
that is just not sustainable.  The car makers are doing everything
they can to drive cost out of the product, often at the expense of
quality.  The are also trying to make thier cars trendy and hip in
response to the latest fads.  The styling cycles for some models have
shortened to just a couple years.  Bottom line, they keep making crap,
because people keep buying it.  Cars today also don't get decent
maintenance in a lot of places either.  Around here, your choices are
the dealer, most of whom are imcompetent and crooks, or the small
independant shops, which are often not equipped to handle the latest
models, or jiffy lube.  And if your car is over 10 years old, you can
count on the manufacturer discontinuing a lot of parts that you might
need to keep it on the road.  After all, they would rather sell you a
new car anyway.

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 3:46 PM, Jim Johnson <bmwwxman@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think Billy is right.  Having read a lot of the history of the British car
> industry including living in that country for 6 years in the 1960s, I feel
> there are clear similarities with what is happening in this country today.
> Over-regulation and high fuel costs are killing the industry in this country
> just as it did in Britain. Unless this country wakes up very quickly big
> government taxes and regulation will drive all our industry to Asia and our
> language and customs will disappear as we transition to majority Spanish
> speaking. I hope I'm wrong form my descendants sake, but I really doubt it.
>

> Cheers!!
> Jim
>
> On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 3:34 PM, Billy Zoom <billyzoom@billyzoom.com> wrote:
>
>> > MG cancels plans to bring TF to North America
>> Don't worry, I'm sure there'll be plenty of other Chinese cars to choose
>> from in the very near future.
>>

> --
> Cheers!!
> Jim

= Never offend people with style when you =
= can offend with substance --- Sam Brown =