Re: [Spridgets] When does it become restored?

To: "'Robert Duquette'" <robertduquette@sympatico.ca>,
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] When does it become restored?
From: "Guy Weller" <guy.weller@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 19:16:16 +0100
UK cars of the 60's, and 70's all came with free rust, from new. They were
manufactured that way.
There are photos of 100's of cars lined up in the open air at dock-side
awaiting export. Dock-side means seaside, means salt laden air and a damp
mild climate. They all started rusting from day 1.
Actually, worse than that, it was not uncommon for the steel sheets that
were fed into the presses in the factory to already have more than a dusting
of rust on them.
Couple this to a primitive paint finish - i.e. hidden parts like inside the
sills often had no paint at all and a design which had in-built dirt and
rust traps and the new cars were doomed to encroaching rust before they ever
left the factory.

Not that this was unusual for Spridgets, or indeed unusual to British cars
of that era.

Part of the "charm" ?

Guy