Re: [Spridgets] What type of exhaust?

To: <ryan.kubanoff@comcast.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] What type of exhaust?
From: "David Lieb" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 07:37:51 -0500
> The exhaust on my 74 midget has sprung its last leak (4 that I am aware
> of).  So I was thinking of the stainless steel one from VB. Any thoughts?
> or what are you using?

Ryan,
On my 72 I use an LCB header sourced from Rivergate that has a 1 5/8"
collector which will accomodate the original 1 1/2" pipe on the inside OR a
1 3/4" pipe on the outside. I went with a 1 3/4" pipe and had a piece welded
onto it for the stock mount at the bulkhead. It is pretty easy to brace it
in place and then use a jack behind the axle to angle it up a tad. A JC
Whitney Hearthrob #ZX222813Y muffler straight out the back with a tip cut
from the other pipe rounds it off. Oh yes, the Spanish-made band-type
exhaust clamps that Moss started carrying last year are GREAT for not
sticking down too far, being easy to install, and taking a lot of abuse.
Just go to their site and do a search on "exhaust clamp". BTW, my exhaust is
not stainless. Stainless WILL rust (it "stains less", not rustproof) and
tends to sound tinny, so it isn't a magic bullet that would mean never
touching your exhaust again.
David Lieb