Re: [Spridgets] concrete question

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] concrete question
From: "Robert Duquette" <robertduquette@sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 13:59:55 +0000
That is correct.  The garage is an add-on; most likely "owner built"..  But,
we wouldn't want access from the garage to the ground floor into our kitchen
or dining room anyway.

If money were no object, ( and it often seems like it is, cause I can't find
it ).  I would prop the garage up, put a full foundation under it and raise
it about 8 inches.  I think that this one only goes down about 2 feet which
really isn't good enough in this country.  And, yeah, the roof could stand
replacing.  Apparently according to the neighbour, it's been like that for
30 years, but it does concern me.  I figured that I would start from the
bottom and work my way up.  But, while not pleasing to the eye, the sag at
the garage door doesn't seem to be a problem.  But, if I ever get to replace
the roof, I'll get that fixed too.  You might understand that the garage is
not a high priority for my wife.

Also unfortunate, is that the properties around mine are terraced, for lack
of a better word.  The neighbour's property next to the driveway and garage
drains onto mine.  Then I drain off onto 3 other properties.  My own yard
has several levels.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/robertduquette/house/1970altavista3.jpg

----Original Message Follows----
From: Dave Yealy <lbc@littlebitcountry.com>

I'm guessing here, there is no entrance into the house from the garage ?
You will need a 20" high retaining wall towards your neighbors on the left
and then tear down the existing garage, raise the driveway 16" to be level
with the existing front yard then raise the foundation of the garage and
then build a new garage. This would give you access to the garage from
inside the house. This would also eliminate the "lake effect" you have now.
The sag of the ridge line and garage door shows there are major problems
somewhere or very poor construction.
Or you could get inventive and lift/raise the garage and put a new
foundation under it and fix the sagging roofline.
Cost approx. = Little more than $10G but better off in the long run.

Dave