Re: [Spridgets] calculating speed

To: "Matt Hagopian" <mhagopian@hoppetool.com>, "Spridget List"
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] calculating speed
From: "David Lieb" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 15:43:37 -0500
> Wow, I figured I would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 110-120, I just
> put in the new diff of 4.22 and I have 3 used axles, and we are going to
> buy
> hoosiers. I tell you what, at 102 mph the car is very steady and needs to
> go
> much faster! This winter when we rip apart the motor, we pan on getting a
> few more HP out of it and maybe a 1000 more rpm to make it 8000rpm (we
> dont
> even know what its safe to right now).

Matt,
You need to read Peter Egan's Side Glances column from Road & Track. One
issue (years ago) dealt with his distinction between "speed" and "velocity".
He maintained that 100mph in his Bugeye racecar was FAST, although the
velocity was not particularly impressive on paper. My friend, OTOH, emailed
me a cellphone photo of the speedometer of his Corvette Z06 on the
interstate on his way to the national meet at Effingham a week or three ago
with the needle just shy of 170. Obviously not NEARLY so fast as a Bugeye at
100, or he would not have been able to take that picture.
David Lieb