[Spridgets] A40 steering help

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] A40 steering help
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 17:31:11 -0500
My daughter's Austin A40 has Big Healey type steering, aka tractor
steering gear.
I have 3 books on the car, one tells me to "entrust the work to a
dealer" That ain't gonna happen!
The other tells me how to adjust the slack but if I tighten it a hair
more, the steering is too tight and will not return when rounding a
corner. The 3rd book tells me how it works but not how to fix it so it
works.
If I wiggle the steering wheel, I can see the bottom rod coming from the
steering box moving up and down.
All of the many links, rods, ends, etc are good so it's not in those, it
is the actual peg arm that comes out of the steering box.
This peg fits a worm gear inside the steering box. The hundreds of
links, rods, arms and ends bolt to the bottom of this peg via a large
splined end.
Just like a tractor or a big Healey.
I believe it is a Bishop steering gear, whatever it is, it's a nightmare
and has been for the 11 years I have owned this car.
Maybe we would use it if we can get it to steer reasonably well with no
thunking, clunking, or having to use all of our might just to turn a corner.
Does anybody know anything about 50s worm and peg steering?
And the book says 1" of free play is normal, 1.5" should be adjusted. I
have about 3/4", 1" is too much and all you do is steer to compensate
wondering from lane to lane.
My problem is the up and down movement of the peg and the thunking of it
at the bottom of the box.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ