Re: [Spridgets] Exhaust headers

To: "Timothy H. Collins" <thcollin@mtu.edu>, "S pridgets"
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Exhaust headers
From: "David Lieb" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 08:37:40 -0600
> I'm interested in this subject. When you say you never got believable
> results, what were you attempting to do? Tune carbs by watching the
> exhaust gas or ????
> What were you using as your meter or gauge? I've seen the LED bar graph
> units (just pictures - not for real) and wondered how useful they might
> be.
> I'm interested in your experience / story.

Tim,
I have an Autometer sensor and gauge. Narrowband. It reads significantly
leaner than reality under most circumstances. I bought the setup in order to
be able to tell how far off my needles are at rpms other than idle. It
really does not accomplish this. The bung is welded into the exhaust ppe
about 8" past the end of the collector. Too far downstream? I wasn't anxious
to make holes in my nice new header at the time. My next header won't be so
lucky.
David Lieb