Re: [Spridgets] SUV's

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] SUV's
From: "JLC" <breton48@live.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 16:45:40 -0700
khargreaves2@gmail.com writes:

Really,  how many people in my state, California, really use their 4 wheel
drive  option?

Don't know, but I knew some who did when I lived in Lakeside, East of San
Diego. They used to go four wheeling with their trucks or SUVs in the desert
a lot, and so did I. Apart from a couple of destroyed tires (sidewall
damage), and a few encounters with rocks where the rocks won and the
bodywork lost, I had great fun! Before I knew better, I did get a six months
old Izuzu Trooper stuck in the mud right in the middle of the "Borrego
sink", so aptly named! The top 1" or so of the soil is quite hard and dry,
so you venture on the trail... and promptly sink the four wheels in the mud
underneath! The Trooper was about as big as is sensible for the local
trails. There were places where a small Jeep could go through, but not a
Trooper (too wide to drive between the trail's rock walls).

I do know many owners in So Cal have SUVs or trucks because they like the
image, and they don't use them in four wheel drive or/and off road. You can
buy many SUVs without four wheel drive, right?

My neighbour's daughter had a Ford Explorer when she was in high school. It
was a 4x4 with "California lift" (the front lifted higher than the back).
Her father told me she did not really like to drive it, as she found it
difficult to see over the raised front end, "tippy" in turns... but she
liked the image!

JLC