Re: [Spridgets] SUV's

To: JLC <breton48@live.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] SUV's
From: David Ambrose <stargazer1@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 16:45:10 -0800
JLC wrote:
> khargreaves2@gmail.com writes:
>
> Really,  how many people in my state, California, really use their 4 wheel
> drive  option
I guess our answer is yes and less:

We live in Poway, just northeast of San Diego. When we moved down here,
we owned a '72 Landcruiser. Wonderful off-road vehicle; plenty of
clearance, and the running gear was strong enough to tolerate almost
anything.

We took it offroad in the desert, and other places, and really liked
getting our camping gear into isolated places.

However, it was getting too small for 3 young children, and wasn't the
most pleasant thing on the freeway. We were also suffering from chronic
carb, clutch, and valve problems. So, we sold it and bought a Suburban
from my cousin.

The 'burby had pretty much everything we could ever want; 4WD, 3 seats,
auxiliary air conditioner, and barn doors. It had 4 wheel drive, but we
found ourselves using it less as time went by.

When we replaced the Suburban, we went with a 2 wheel drive Xterra
because we just didn't feel the need for 4x4, and the extra few miles
per gallon were going to pay off over the life of the truck.

Now days, I'm hauling more surfboards and scuba gear than camping stuff
and telescopes. So, I think it's fair to say our usage changed a lot. My
kids grew up so I'm not hauling nearly as many of those either.

Besides, my wife claims she can drive a 2WD/LSD through most places as
well as a  4WD with an average driver. She seems to be able to
demonstrate this fact on demand too. :-)

Cheers,
Dave