Re: [Spridgets] House insulation and some gratuitous LBC content

To: Spridget List <Spridgets@autox.team.net>, Leo
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] House insulation and some gratuitous LBC content
From: David Booker <tncarnut1@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 09:07:54 -0800 (PST)
Leo -
I don't believe you can over-insulate a space unless you shove it so full that
it starts to compress and therefore minimize the trapped air.  Much of the way
insulation works is by creating dead air pockets. Thicker insulation just
creates more dead air pockets, which is a good thing.  My last house was in
Tennessee - I bought it new and had between two and three feet of insulation
blown into the attic area.  Worked amazingly well.  (It did make it difficult
to find your way over to a particular bedroom ceiling to wire up or hang a new
fan though) Of course, now I have a 70+ year old Cape Cod on Long Island that
is basically insulated with wadded up newspapers behind the plaster.  Oh well
- at least the kitchen and bathrooms I gutted are insulated...

By the way, the garage is not very well insulated either - that's where the
Midget lives, so there's my LBC content!

 - David Booker