[Spridgets] Questions for the Racers (Long)

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: [Spridgets] Questions for the Racers (Long)
From: fastvee <fastvee@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 11:11:17 -0700 (PDT)
So my fenders flares are history, and I have all of the pieces I need to
convert the suspension back to levers and leaf springs for vintage racing.
Still not ready to remove the coilovers, and have been contemplating running
some SCCA regional races in H production. Obviously I will be giving up several
inches of track width, 2" of tire width, and can't run as low a ride height,
but for me there are several benefits for me to stay with the SCCA to re-enter
racing. There isn't a rule to prevent me using street tires, but the  slick
guys may not like it. My questions for you vintage guys are, have you raced
against slick tires while on street tires? Are the lines similar enough to not
be a problem? Am I wacky?

The benefits to me are that I can easily get my license back, I will have lots
of support at SCCA races, I love the idea of running a 1275 with limited prep
engine rules, I can keep my tube shocks, coilovers and three-link, I can
install my big brakes, I can use my fiberglass hood, the competition in H/P is
very good and there is a good mix of cars these days, and frankly going vintage
racing is just too vague for me. I've done my homework on vintage rules and
have no complaints, I want to be legitimate yet at the track see too much
inconsistency for my liking. Guys are spending enough to be period correct but
couldn't care less what the level of prep was in 1973. I like VRG and it seems
like the best choice in the Northeast, but after making the leap I don't want
to hear about the four roll cage tubes forward of the firewall or the fact that
my 62 did not come with a 1275, so I am going to put vintage aside for now. I
am hoping the structure of H/P will
 give me a focus, and who knows, maybe I will want to take a shot at the
runoffs again. Whichever way I go it won't be before 2010. I appreciate hearing
any and all comments.
John
Fogelsville, PA