Re: [Spridgets] 58 -67 Lap Belts

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] 58 -67 Lap Belts
From: Lester <oldsaabguy@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 07:47:47 -0500
David I would strongly disagree,

having spoken to CEO's of SAAB some retired and some not I can tell
you that safety has been a VERY big thing for a long time.  Even in
the 70's when the SAAB CEO went to visit the Mercedes test facility
the director showed him all the wrecks that Mercedes had used for
testing and remarked that they, SAAB and Volvo were leading in safety
testing for consumers.

I will certainly grant you that the "star" rating method is solely for
the benefit of a test barrier but to say that a modern car is less
safe than a Bugeye in any direction is absurd.  Those crumple zones
are progressive and will take an enormous load.  Granted they will
"total" cars frequently (That is an insurance term ) but folks walk
away unscathed.  And for speeds much above 50 IIRC nothing short of a
tank will keep you alive in a head on, there is just too much energy
involved.

If you are remarking on the Bugeye ability to get out of the way of an
accident then your argument is driver and situation dependent.  While
it may be true in some circumstances it's like saying that a seat belt
is only there to make it easy for EMS to find the body..

Lester