[Spridgets] Engine Rebuild Time

To: Spridgets List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] Engine Rebuild Time
From: David Ambrose <stargazer1@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 08:00:56 -0700
It's engine rebuild time for our 1970 Midget. Looks like we've lost a
con-rod bearing. <sigh> I've rebuilt B-Series engines, but this will be
the first time I've rebuilt a 1275. The engine was tired anyway, so this
isn't completely unexpected.

I saved off the engine extraction thread, so I think I'm set there.

Can anyone recommend a machine shop in the San Diego (CA) area?

Assuming we need to replace the cam and lifters, any camshaft
suggestions?  I've used "fast road" cams to good effect on the B
engines. Is a slightly hotter than stock cam a good choice for a 1275?
We have fresh SU carbs on the engine with a stock manifold and a stock
exhaust system. We're also running a pertronix distributor.

Any other mods worth doing while we're here?  I see that Moss offers an
actual rear seal kit. Is that a worthwhile addition? Are there better
sources?

Any preferred brands of pistons? What about bearings?

Thanks in advance, I'm sure I'll have more questions as we go along.

Best Regards,
Dave Ambrose