[Spridgets] Chassis Dyno H.P.?

To: "Spridgets Digest" <spridgets@autox.team.net>, "Vintage Racing
Subject: [Spridgets] Chassis Dyno H.P.?
From: "Norm 2Bs" <twobees@sprynet.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 16:16:45 -0400
Took the Turner to a dyno shop.  I'm underwhelmed at the results -- only 60
rear-wheel h.p., & 50 ft.lbs. torque.  Interestingly, the HP curve, is flat
(but rising steadily) from 3200 rpms all the way to 6200 rpms.  And, I mean
FLAT.  It climbs from c. 25HP at 3200 straight up to 60 at 6300.

Torque curve is flat & level from 4000 to max.

Another interesting observation -- going from a 1-3/4" straight pipe to a
reducer to 1-1/2" & then through the original muffler increased the H.P. by
a little over 2 HP.  This is on a 948 that is now c. 1,000 cc with APT
Vintage cam, flat-top pistons, 1-1/2" SUs, & Longman GT6 big-valve head.
Based on results, it will need a better crank to take advantage of the still
climbing power "curve."

Now comes the engine swap to the ex-HP Huffaker engine & back to the dyno
shop with that one.

Any of you Spridget guys had your cars on a dyno?  What results?

Norm Sippel
'59 Turner #47