Re: [Spridgets] favorite tools iin shop

To: Michael Rowe <mdrowe@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] favorite tools iin shop
From: Phil Nase <nases@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 09:35:29 -0500
On Feb 14, 2010, at 8:47 AM, Michael Rowe wrote:

> There is near universal agreement on a blast cabinet.   This week I
completed the 220v line for my $150, 60 gal Craig's List Special compressor.
There is a large range of sizes and prices for blast cabinets.  What features
are essential?  Does anyone use cheap sand instead of glass beads?

> Michael Rowe

What size you need depends on what your blasting of course. Mine just barely
allows a road wheel to be worked on but it won't allow a anti-roll bar sized
part.  To be sure you need good lighting inside,  if the seams aren't already
sealed then do it yourself before it gets dirty.  On my bench top the hopper
sides aren't steep enough so I'm constantly pushing media down to the pickup
tube so my next one will be a floor stand type which allows steeper sides on
the hopper.  Mine has a side door which leaks media,  I haven't used the top
loaders but it seems logical they would be less prone to leaks.  Also build
yourself a dust bong like Frank uses to keep the dust out of the air and save
your vacuum from early failure.  I think Frank had the plans on the Teglerizer
site on how to do it, not sure if it's still there.

If you use sand wear a good quality respirator, I use one even with glass
beads.  I think sand also builds up a lot of heat on the material and can warp
it.  I get by using glass on most stuff.

Phil Nase
Quakertown, PA
http://home.comcast.net/~philnasecpa/