Re: [Spridgets] favorite tools iin shop

To: "Michael Rowe" <mdrowe@optonline.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] favorite tools iin shop
From: "Leo S" <60bugeye@cebridge.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 09:03:13 -0600
Ya just had to ask didnt you Michael:  this is my experience.  Because I use
my cabinet a lot I have different media for different applications.  When
blasting steel parts (neadlight buckets, brackets, etc...) or aluminum parts
I want to paint I use  a fine grade of Aluminum Oxide.  I have used sugar
sand (lots of dust and wears out quickly), black magic,( lots of dust, lasts
about 4 times longer than sand), garnet (little dust, lasts about 20 times
long than black magic), and finally aluminum oxide (almost no dust and last
around 40 times longer than garnet).  Prices on the media follow the same
curves... Wears out fast, cheaper, last longer, higher.  For instance a 100
lb bag of garnet is 48.00 and a 50lb bag of alum oxide is 52.00  .BUT the
length of its life and the speed it cleans with makes the aluminum oxide the
better bargain.

Now for aluminum I dont intend to paint and therefore dont want an "etch"
pattern on I use glass beads.

Now for armatures and other parts I want to "clean" but dont want any metal
"etching" or removal of coating(insulation, or even paint) i use a fine
grade of crushed wlnut hulls.  With walnut hulls you can clean a part and
dont have to worry about tearing seals, gettingf abrasive into where it can
do damage etc.. It is not an abrasive, it is a cleaner.

Now, about the compressor.  Do not expect the oilless compressors that you
buy at home defect, Lowes, Sears, etc... to last a long time if you do a lot
of blasting. (actually dont expect it to last a long time no matter what you
are doing unless it is airing up bicycle tires once a year)  Also, do not
expect to do it fast as you are going to be waiting on the compressor  a
lot.  Blasting cabinets use a lot of air unless you are using a very small
nozzel and then you will be cleaning the part very slowly..... See the
vicious circle.  If you look around on Craigs List you cn find older Quincys
and Ingersol Rands tht put out high cfm at low rpm and they will last your
lifetime and you will get done blasting in way less time. Costs. 250.00 -
800.00 just depends on the deal.  a heaadlight bucket takes my blaster about
1 minute to clean inside and out with a haed paint on it, if it has been
refinished before using rattle cans about 20 seconds....It will shut down
while i am blasting and i am using a 5/16 id nozzel.

article on media
http://www.clemtex.com/Literature_files/Abrasives.Brochure.LQ.pdf

article on air consumption
http://www.clemtex.com/Literature_files/Technical.Data.LQ.pdf