[Spridgets] Motor Oil in the Gear Box

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: [Spridgets] Motor Oil in the Gear Box
From: Kirk Hargreaves <khargreaves2@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 14:23:55 -0700
Thanks to all of gave advice on what to run and how much to put in.

Seems that there might be a bit of a difference going on regarding running
motor oil, non-detergent oil. .  etc.

I am using motor oil (non-synthetic).

However. .  I am not totally convinced that synthetic would harm the gear
box.

Back in the day when synthetics came on the market there was a lot of talk
about how they would spin bearings and cause other issues.

A synthetic is the same thing as a non-synthetic. .  only that it's
molecular chain has been equaled out to ten chain molecular links as opposed
to a non-synthetic which can carries different molecular chain lengths.  A
non synthetic chain might have 7 or 3 or whatever is found.  And of course
there can be different additives in the differing products as well.

The ten chain process allows the oil to sustain greater amounts of heat.
Same idea as what it takes to light a phone book or a pile of leaves.  It
also makes it more of a lubricant. . more of a slip factor between metal
surfaces.

Harley Davidson was the biggest hypocrite saying that their bikes must have
the Harley 360 non synthetic product or damage would occur to their engines.

Dealers were also adamant about this.  (And of course the dealers were
carrying 360 on their shelves).

The motor company realized that Harley owners were using Red Line and other
brands of synthetic in their bikes, and that the bikes were running fine, no
issues.  Owners were racking up miles on their bikes with no issues.  (Which
to me says more about frequency of oil changes than whether the oil is
synthetic or not).

I believe that Porsche made it mandatory that the owner uses a synthetic, as
well as Ferrari and other high end automobile manufacturers?

Short story. .  Harley finally came out with their own brand of synthetic.
Their response, "We realize that Harley owners are running different brands
of synthetic oils in their bikes, so we came out with our own
in order to control the type of synthetic oil that our owners should use."

What a crock of )(*7u980. . . Harley's determination was a result of the
free market place and bike owners doing what they thought was best for their
high dollar investments.

Eventually, much of this talk about spinning bearings and causing harm to
different metals and how the parts function seems to have dissipated.

I am playing it safe as so many listers have talked about not using
synthetic in a rib case.  Again, maintenance rules over all.  However I
wonder what, if any real harm would come running synthetic in the box.  and
if their just might be some value to the idea of doing so?

My ramble on the subject!

Kirk
59

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html