Re: [Spridgets] Motor Oil in the Gear Box

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Motor Oil in the Gear Box
From: "Shop at \" Just Brits \"" <shop@justbrits.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 17:35:55 -0500
Kirk H. wrote and I...
<quote>
However I wonder what, if any real harm would come running
synthetic in the box. and if their just might be some value to
the idea of doing so?
</quote>

The answer IS a qualified NONE, Kirk.  A Redline
Dist. [also the 123 Dizzy] is a Healey List Member
and has discoursed the subject to death due to Big
Healey listers seemingly having the memory[s] of
sponges<G>[but NOT all<VBG>] !!  A search of the
Archives [link at bottom of EVERY List post] for
Redline will give anybody enough reading for quite
awhile.  LOL

The fact is that Redline offers TWO [2] tranny
weight oils.  One IS fine the other NOT [and NO
I am not gonna do your *research* for you<G>].

Skip Kelsey [R.I.P.] of Shadetree Motors in CA
was an AVID MGer [including Pre-war models] &
he not only sold the stuff but used it in ALL of his
and his Customers' cars !!!

Then David L. wrote and I ....
<quote>
The issue with synthetic in a gearbox is that it tends to be
too slippery for proper operation of the synchros, leading to
lots of gear-crunching shifts.
</quote>

Which the CORRECT Redline does NOT do.  In fact,
comments from various MGers & Big Healey folks
state exactly the opposite.  Actually they ALL have
stated that they had a "marked improvement" and
had ZERO "gear-crunching" since they switched.

Kelsey knew more about LBC trannys/motors/cars
than anybody I have EVER run across including the
self-esteemed Mr. Twist.  Plainly the Sprite/Midget
gear boxes are the same so I did/do believe Skip.

And then David L. also penned and I....
<quote>
I lean towards 20W50 myself.
</quote>

Ditto, David.  Of course it might be that I actually am
a Founding Member of the "We Tight Club" !!!!  <VBG>

HTHs !!

Ed

PS:  Yes, I DO know WHICH Redline, just want to see
.........whom will find the answer first <G> !!!

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums